Sunday, November 6, 2011

Of Death in the Family

Death.

It's something that we Filipinos usually tend to not discuss seriously. We live and love life the way it is and like the majority of the population, with regards to our traditions and norms, we focus on the present. We Filipinos usually "cross the bridge when we get there." But, what if, when you reach the bridge, you don't have anyone with you? What if the people you are supposed to be with when you cross the bridge died one-by-one throughout the journey? How will you cross that bridge?

Many times already have I seen people die. Whether by disease or by accident, the essence of a death in the family is still the same. Tears will be shed. Regrets will unfold. Memories will be reminisced. Time will stop. For only a few days.

I have often stressed to nearly everyone I know that I am ready to die anytime. That I have accepted Death even before it came. I have no choice. If I'm dead, I am and there's nothing I can actually do about it. Hell I won't even be able to resuscitate myself.

My friends find it/me weird whenever they learn that somewhere in this online charade, I published my Last Will. I regularly update it. Mind you, please do not even go looking for it since my things are actually junk. Lol.

My family on the other hand does not even give a damn to what I say. Why? Because like me, they also have accepted their deaths and I have seen it by the way we converse. Everytime we go out, one of us will say, "Pag tayo nabangga ng truck, ubos tayo." Someone will reply like, "Nako, pano na yung mga aso natin?" Another one will blurt out, "O, kung sinong matirang buhay, kanya lahat!" (pertaining to whatever assets/properties we have, if we actually have any)

When my older brother posted in Facebook that his head is aching and that he implied that he speculates that it is a tumor, his officemate replied with a, "Uy that's not a good joke..pacheck ka.." after which, my younger brother replied with a, "SAKIN ANG KOTSE!!!" to which my older brother replied, "Nyahahaha leche!!! ♥" After seeing the conversation hours later, I replied, "Car goes to the eldest alive. HAHAHA."

So much for him dying. Still healthy and alive and one of his properties is already being eyed upon.

When the three of us, me and my two brothers were about to depart for Singapore last April, my mother said that should our plane crash, wala na raw siyang matitirang anak. How comforting for me and my younger brother who'll be experiencing our first plane ride.

My mother has diabetes and hypertension stage I. She is not getting any younger. That is why I always tell her to spend her money for herself. Live her own life while she still can because she may die any moment. True. I always tell her that.

You may think that I am a worthless son for telling his mother that she may die any moment but hey, it is but the truth. I have seen in our Emergency Room innumerable cases where people just die of Stroke or Heart Attack. By the time they are brought for us to intervene medically, their souls were already as far as Siberia.

Another thing, our family, by unanimous decision, has decreed that we will all be cremated after a few days of wake. We also discussed that in the event that an accident or disease debilitates any of us to the point that there is a very minimal chance of survival, no Intensive Care will be asked to be rendered. It's economical that way.

Family member stays in ICU for weeks, expenses soar, family is in despair, member dies, debts continue to increase, family mourns, still with debts. Now, who suffers the most? He/She who died or he/she who were left behind?

Not only do the living feel the loss, they will also feel the impact of financial instability. And this is a unanimous decision and rationalization of my family.

Yeah. I guess I'm not the only one eccentric in the family.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ayaw ko rin yung magtatagal sa ospital. prolonging the agony lang. kung mamamatay, mamamatay. diba/ hehe.

gusto ko rin macremate. ehehehe.

okay. matagal pa naman yan. mag-travel muna tayo. woot woot. :D

p.s. mali pala yung sinabi ko na mangutang ka kay mami mo. sa kanya nga lang pala lahat ng pira niya. hahahaha